I saw the posters for this band when Terry and I went to the Kammgarn to see Lez Zeppelin. I called Claudia and asked, "Why do I think I know this band?"
This is one of Claudia's favorite bands and she saw them years and years ago. When I told her that I was more than happy to go with her, she lent me a CD so I could get familiar with the music. We listened to it in the car and it sounded slightly rocking, more funk than hard but really good. Terry had no interest.
When we got there, the place was packed. Claudia and Carmen saw bunches of friends. We wormed our way towards the front and then they started to wail...
Iam not joking. They ROCKED. HARD. I did not expect this whatsoever, but completely enjoyed it. Watching the lead singer, Joyce "Baby Jean" Kennedy, was like watching Tina Turner perform on crack. The guitar plays were out of control. This was the first concert I really got a rush off of the bass players AMAZING 5 minute solo...he totally killed.
As they rolled on, Carmen and I made our way more central front and at the end, the rhythm guiartist, John Hayes, leaned over and handed me his guitar pick (the pick of destiney) and gave me a kiss!! A few encores later, it was off to the bar in the lobby for a beer and some souvenir shopping.
The girls and I were chatting when I had to make my move..."I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere!" I headed to the side of the stage and asked the "bouncer" if he would take my T-shirt to the band to have them sign it. "Uh, lady...They are right there" and pointed just beyond my shoulder - COOL!
I talked with the drummer...nice guy. John Hayes came out and we just started chit-chatting away...kids, touring, why haven't I ever heard of such a rocking band that is American? And why does everyone in Germany seem to know them like they were the Rolling Stones?
Talking, talking, talking....I had to get back to my posse at the bar...."Want a drink?" So, John and I were headed back to the bar where I very proudly introduced my new posse member to the rest. A few vodka shots later it was time to get John to have the rest of the band sign my shirt -- the girls were getting snacky.
And so...the shirt was signed...I was totally buzzed (by rock guitarist celebrity and the alcohol) we went for Mexican food and the posse finished off what I consider one of THE BEST concert experiences I have ever had.
Check out their site....get some of their music and if they ever come 'round your part of the world....check them out. They are totally worth losing one's voice over!
Mother's Finest
Saturday, March 24, 2007
No comments:
Post a Comment