Wednesday, January 10

Happy Sylvester!!!

Yes...Welcome to the New Year...2007!!

In Germany, they call it "Sylvester" - not sure why, but I will check into it and report back soon.

Anyway...we had our friends over (the usual suspects) and had a ton of food. I made my first fondue (cheese) which everyone said was delish, but Kelley and I thought it was absolutely disgusting. I also made a chocolate fondue (Mom had sent me a pot for it, so why not?) unfortunately, the pot cracked in the first 5 minutes of use and the chocolate slowly turned into a brick. Boy did we have a lot of bite sized goodies to munch.

But things got rolling, we popped in my "History of Funk" CD collection (most excellent Kelley - merci beaucoup!) whipped out the Yahtzee for pre-midnight entertainment and then we prepared for the moment.

Germans get to do all their fireworks on New Years (duh - it's not like they have a 4th of July) and everyone goes to the stores the 2 days before the 31st to stock up. I mean...stock up! People buy hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of fireworks for this one night...Roman Candles, Bottle Rockets, Starbursts, Clusters, Firecrackers, Volcanoes, Pinwheels, Bumble bees....ones that when they explode, plastic soldiers drop out with parachutes...little ones for the kiddies, big ones for the big kids....and it is amazing AMAZING to see and participate!

Where we live we had an unexpected surprise...over trees at the end of our property we were able to see the fireworks being popped from another village...it's really outstanding!!

And so...ringing in of 2007 was a total blast...as it always is here...so...enjoy the photos and I hope everyone had as great of a celebration as we all did here.

Sunday, December 31, 2006



Monday, January 1, 2007


No comments: