Tuesday, September 26

Trier & Idar-Oberstein Germany

We decided to take a couple of days trips while Mom was here....we all thought that all of the walking around would help the baby descend a bit further, helping out the whole process in getting him into this world. Neither trip worked, but what wonderful towns to visit.

Trier:

This is the place where the greatest collections of Roman ruins are to be found anywhere north of the Alps. The town was established in 16 BC by the Roman Emporer Augustus. Some of the ruins to be found are: Porta Nigra, the Ampitheater, the Roman Baths and the exquisite cathedral, The Dom.



Idar-Oberstein:

Idar-Oberstein is currently best known as a gemstone center: until recently, the area was a source for agate and jasper (both semi-precious stones), and the gem and jewelry trade continues to flourish there today.

Two ruined medieval castles are perched on the hills above the town, and are, after gemstones and jewelry, the chief tourist attractions in the city, along with the Felsenkirche (aka Church of the Rock) that was constructed in a crevice in the side of the cliffs on which the castles rest.



We had a beautiful day...and boy did we walk...through the town and in all of the fantastic shops -- what BEAUTIFUL stuff they all had -- to the Church of the Rock (which is really really cool) -- and finally we walked/hiked/staggered up the trails to reach the castle ruins at the top of the mountain.

We stopped in at the gift shop and this dear old German lady asked me when I was due...I told her I was due any day. "and you walked all the way up here? oh my! would you like some water?!" the dear old German lady said....i just laughed and thanked her on my way out.

It really was funny to see the reactions I got when people looked at me...you'd have thought they had never seen a pregnant woman before...maybe they just couldn't believe how big I was!!!

2 comments:

Stace & Terry said...

holy pregnant belly! i was HUGE

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! I've spent a lot of time in Trier. It is one of my most favorite spots. One picture you are missing is the one of the Building that says Trier will stand long after Rome falls. How true.

Well we were in the same location just at different times.

Love you guys